RAGGING IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE (AS PER THE SUPREME COURT VERDICT)
[Ragging is an offence under penal code and under section 116 of the Karnataka Education Act, 1983(Karnataka Act No.1 of 1995)]
‘’Causing, inducing, compelling or forcing a student, whether by way of practical joke or otherwise, to do any act which detracts from human dignity or violates his/her person or exposes him/her to ridicule from doing any lawful act. By intimidating, wrongful confinement, injury or the use of criminal force’’.
Ragging in all forms is totally banned in this institution in all the departments, hostels, premises (academic, residential, sports, kiosks, cafeteria and the like) whether located within campus or outside and in all means of transportations of students whether public or private. The institution shall take strict action including but not limited to criminal proceeding and/or cancellation of admission against those found guilty of ragging and/or of abetting ragging and the burden of proof shall here by lie on the perpetrator of alleged ragging and not on the victim. An offence of ragging may be charged either on a written complaint by the affected or on independent finding of the Anti Ragging Squad/Committee.
PUNISHABLE INGREDIENTS OF RAGGING
- Abetment / instigation to ragging
- Criminal conspiracy to rag
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging
- Public nuisance created during ragging
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging
- Injury to body, causing hurt/ mental trauma or grievous hurt
- Wrongful restraint
- Wrongful confinement
- Use of criminal force
- Assault as well as sexual offences or unnatural offences
- Criminal trespass
- Offences against property
- Criminal intimidation
- Attempt to commit any or all of the mentioned against the victim
- Physical or psychological humiliation
- Any act / abuse by spoken words, e-mails, snail mails, blogs, public insults etc.
- Any act that prevents, disrupts or disturbs regular academic activity of student
- All other offences following from the definition of ‘’Ragging.’’
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee of the Institution, the possible punishments for those guilty of ragging shall be any one or any combination of the following:
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges
- Withholding / withdrawing scholarship / fellowship and other benefits
- Forfeiting Campus Placement opportunities / recommendations
- Debarring from appearing in any test / examinations or other evaluation process
- Withholding of results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival etc.
- Suspension / expulsion from the hostel
- Cancellation of Admission
- Rustication from the institution for a period, ranging from 1 to 3 years
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specific period
- Fine of Rupees above 25,000 and above
- Collective punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall report to collective punishment as a deterrent to ensure community pressure on the potential raggers.
In additional, in case of every single incident of ragging, A FIRST INFORMATION REPORT (FIR) WILL BE FILED WITH THE LOCAL POLICE AUTOHRITIES. The possible punishment includes RIGOROUS IMPRISONMENT (IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE ORDER OF SUPREME COURT OF INDIA).
Dr. Sanjeevini Hattarki – CHAIRMAN – 9448033355
In the case of any ragging incident, the students may immediately call and bring it to the above persons notice for necessary help, guidance and actions with mobile numbers,
The fresher’s/junior students are hereby instructed that they should move in groups within the academic areas/campus, should not respond to the calls from the seniors, should not participate in any kind of ‘’fresher’s party’’ anywhere inside/outside the campus, desist from doing anything against their will even if ordered by the seniors and that, they have nothing to fear as the institutions cares for them.
THE INSTITUTION LEVEL ANTI RAGGING COMMITTEE
Dr. RAMAKANT NAYAK PRINCIPAL 9448122895
Dr. Sanjeevini Hattarki CHAIRMAN 9448033355
Dr. VIRAJ PATIL MEMBER 9448989440
Dr. PUSHPA S P MEMBER 9448874847
Dr. Chetan Patil MEMBER 9448571310
Dr. Veerendra Uppin MEMBER 9448591742
Dr. Ajay Nayak MEMBER 9845538278
IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY CONTACT:
- Dr. Asim Jamadar – Warden 9844292810 (Boys Hostel)
- Mr. S. K. Jadhav – Rector 9743074337 (Boys Hostel)
- Mrs. Rajani Patil – Warden 9480275122 (Girls Hostel)
- Dr. Amulya Vanti – Dpty. Warden 9731003506(Girls Hostel)
- Mr. S A Patil (P I) – APMC Police Station 9480804106
Complying with the directives of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India, the above Anti-ragging committee is formed for overseeing the implementation of the provisions of Anti-ragging Verdict. This committee comprising teaching faculty, administrators and women representatives will monitor the measures taken by the institute for prevention of ragging, will look into the specific instances of ragging and complaints of ragging; and suggest appropriate action / punishments against individuals who indulge in ragging. Committee will also sensitize the students about the ill effects and consequences of ragging.
Above all you can call on:
TOLL FREE HELPLINE: 1800-180-5522
THE INSTITUTION LEVEL ANTI RAGGING SQUAD
- Dr. Hemant Vagarali INCHARGE 8095202885
- Dr. Suvarna Patil MEMBER 9845821818
- Dr. Asim Jamadar MEMBER 9844292810
- Dr. ZARIR RUTTONJI MEMBER 7411833006
- Dr. Aradhana Chhatre MEMBER 9743013522
This squad comprising teaching faculty/supporting staff, administrators and women representatives will have vigil, oversight and patrolling functions. It will be mobile, alert and active at all times and is empowered to periodically inspect places of potential ragging. It will make surprise raids on hostels and other hot spots. The squad shall investigate incidents of ragging, make recommendations to the institution level Anti-ragging committee and shall work under the overall guidance of the said committee.
Online undertaking will be received from all students and their parents through website www.antiragging.in as per the provisions of anti-ragging verdict by the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India every year. This undertaking is mandatory.